The popularity of eBikes has increased dramatically over recent years and the potential benefits of e-bikes make it clear why they are the new must have. If you are popping down to the shop or shredding trails, e-bikes exist in a huge variety of styles and configurations so just like true love, there is an e-bike out there for everyone.
Give yourself a boost!
Forget about that morning coffee to get you going, an eBike’s pedal assist will help you effortlessly pedal through the streets, so you arrive at work on time and refreshed. Still fancy a workout? Turn down the pedal assist and reap the rewards of further positive health benefits associated with cycling.
Explore new territories
An eBike will provide you with unparalleled access to places previously considered unreachable on your regular bicycle.
Non polluting and economical
After the initial cost of your eBike, it will become a highly economical mode of transport. At just 5-10 pence per charge, you will no longer be burning fuel and money unlike drivers stuck in traffic. For comparison, the average petrol car costs 14 pence per mile compared to an e-bike at just 0.13 pence per mile. For shorter journeys not only will your body thank you for the fresh air, but your wallet will also.
Which eBike is for me?
There are a few things to consider when choosing an e-bike. Often the first thing to consider is the type of riding you’ll be doing. Off road, trails or the towpath? Consider wider tires with tread to improve grip on disjointed surfaces, disc brakes for ultimate stopping power and front forks with suspension to smooth out the bumps in the road. Looking to get to work or just enjoy using the cycle paths? Look for narrower tyres to increase your pedalling efficiency, a rear rack to load up your shopping or work gear and low maintenance roller brakes or hydraulic disc brakes for stress free cycling with consistent braking in all conditions.
After identifying the main type of riding you do, consider your budget. Your budget will influence the motor and battery on your e-bike. A larger initial investment may pay dividends in the long run when considering the quality of the components plus the capacity and longevity of the battery packs. Cheaper battery packs will not be able to take you as far, provide as many charge cycles and potentially suffer further in cold environments.
The motors and batteries you’ll find on eBikes at East Street Cycles come from either Bosch or Shimano. Both systems place the motor between the crank arms and batteries can be either attached to a rear rack or to the bike frame itself. According to your riding style and the riding conditions, the battery will dictate the range you can travel with the power assist activated.
The eBikes you’ll find at our stores come complete with high quality specifications and further accommodations can be made to meet your demands and budget. We can guarantee that regardless of your age, riding style and cycling needs, an e-bike will open up your world, bring you lots of fun and put a massive smile on your face!
What range can I get from an eBike battery?
e-bike battery range
There are a few variables to consider but mostly boils down to 3 main variables. The first and probably the most obvious being the power mode you use. For example, with Bosh, the Eco mode can deliver up to 130km on one charge, with the Turbo mode delivering up to 53km on a single charge.
Shimano Step has a similar range depending on the mode you use. High Mode is up to 60km, Normal Mode is up to 85km and their Eco mode delivers up to 125km
Other factors can include the weather. For example the colder it is, the more quickly the battery will drain. Also the terrain and ground you ride on. The flatter and smoother the ride, the battery will last longer, but the hillier and rougher, for example riding off road in mud, the battery will run out quicker. Bosh as a great page with more details about the range their eBike batteries can last.
The final variable is the choice of your battery size. This option is quite unique with Trek and especially with their UM1+ range, where you have a choice of 300wh, 4oowh and 500wh batteries increasing your range up to 220km on one charge.
Currently in-store at Walton
Both the Mens and Womens Um1+ are currently in stock at Walton
- Ultimate Utility: City proof and ready to roll
- Lightweight aluminium frame with smooth welds
- Front and rear Easy-to-maintain Shimano roller brakes
- Different levels of assistance: Eco, Tour, Sport, Turbo
- Bosch Motor: Silent and reliable producing 40Nm of Torque to easily get you around town.
- Battery Pack: In store, we currently have the 300Wh battery installed. You can expect an approximate range of 130km if you average 15kph with this battery. However, if you want to go further you can upgrade to the mid-capacity 400Wh battery or the 500Wh for ultimate ranges of approximately 220km.
Cannondale Quick Neo Tourer
Both the Mens and Womens are currently in stock at Walton.
- Cannondale’s legendary advanced aluminium design reduces frame weight. The NEO features SmartForm C2 alloy with smooth welds, internal cable routing to give a clean look and a seamlessly integrated drive unit.
- Confident handling and enhanced SAVE micro suspension comfort features built into the frame design. SAVE is designed to soak up the buzz and vibration of the road, reducing fatigue whilst you cycle.
- A comfortable balance between upright comfort And forward leaning efficiency.
- Easy to read display – A high contrast display features standard bike computer functions so you can keep track of your speed and distance, whilst keeping check of your gear, battery and range indicators.
- Shimano motor: Shimano’s STEPS E6000 Drive unit provides smooth, natural-feeling assist and plenty of power in a lightweight and quiet running system. The STEPS system comes with many impressive functions such as walk assist and easy start to help transportation of the bike when walking it by employing the motor up to 6kph. Easy start mode will shift the bike automatically to a lower gear to ensure you get pedalling again as easily as possible.
- Shimano Long life battery. Provides ample power even after 1000 recharges. Supports year round riding in all conditions – handles hot and cold weather with ease making it perfect for year round commuting.